In 2021, the Philippines will be celebrating 500 years since the Victory at Mactan Island, Cebu, the Philippine part in the first circumnavigation of the world, and other related events in 1521.
The preparations for this commemorative year is handled by the National Quincentennial Committee or NQC, that has branded all activities under the “2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines” or 2021 QCP.
In line with this, the NQC has partnered with the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) and National Committee on Art Gallery of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) to launch the Quincentennial Art Competition.
This was launched on March 6, 2020 with deadline for entries on August 28, 2020.
The competition is open to Filipinos 18 years old and above, based in the Philippines with tax identification number (TIN). Members and relatives (up to the 2nd degree of consanguinity) of the NQC members, NHCP employees and officials, and the competition organizers are not eligible to participate.
It will focus on four (4) themes relevant to the commemorations:
- Sovereignty (depicting the Victory at Mactan)
- Magnanimity (the compassion exhibited by our ancestors who rescued the crew of the Magellan-Elcano expedition, the first circumnavigators of the world)
- Unity (the blood compact between the rajah of Mazaua and Magellan)
- Legacy (the presentation of the Santo Niño to the queen of Cebu)
Artists are expected to conduct their own research to capture the world, society, and customs of our ancestors to be depicted, and employ the latest studies about the event and the period.
Category: Painting (open-style representational)
1. The entry should be 3 feet by 4 feet in either horizontal/ landscape or vertical/portrait orientation.
2. Must come in the form of an unframed single stretched canvas or museum/gallery wrap on a ¾” thickness. No assemblage or removable component/s allowed.
3. Medium to be used for the artwork must be oil or acrylic on canvas only. Entries must be fully cured by date of submission (artworks must be fully dry; pieces with wet paint will not be accepted).
4. Each entry must be identified with a card tag enclosed in a small envelope and attached to the wooden stretcher at the back of the painting. The card tag must have the following information:
a. Artist (First Name, Middle Name, Surname)
b. Title of the artwork
c. Medium, Size, and Year
5. Directly writing the information on the canvas is not allowed.
6. Submitted entries must not be signed by the artist before the competition. However, winners shall sign their names on their works on an appointed schedule. Winners must use the appropriate and durable art media in signing their artworks. Likewise, participating artists are prohibited from posting the submitted artwork on their personal and professional social media accounts. Violation of this rule shall result in automatic disqualification.
7. All entries must be ready for exhibition and should have hanging provisions. The weight of the painting must not exceed 20 kilos.
1. The announcement and awarding of selected winners will be on October 2020 at the ManilArt
2. The winning entries shall be exhibited in the Quincentennial Lounge of the ManilArt 2020 during the Museums and Galleries Month.
3. The winners and selected artworks will also be posted on the NQC website and social networking sites.
4. All artworks of the prize winners shall automatically become properties of the NQC. The intellectual property rights of the major and minor prize winners shall be given to NQC in perpetuity. This includes the right to use, produce or reproduce the design for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by NQC without further compensation to the artist or his heirs and assignees.
5. The prizes are as follows:
Grand winners (one  per theme): Php 500,000.00
Minor Prize winners/Runner Ups (two  per theme): Php 50,000.00
*All prizes are subject to 20% tax per government regulation.
6. Participants with non-winning entries must retrieve their artworks from 28 October 2020 until 27 November 2020 ONLY. In case of unavailability of participants, he/she may designate a representative (with authorization letter) to retrieve the artwork on his/her behalf. Unclaimed artworks after this period shall automatically become property of the NHCP.
7. All submitted entries will be part of a published catalog of works.
Submission of Entries
The deadline for submission is on August 28, 2020, 5PM.
1. Interested participant must submit their artwork/s with the following documents:
a. Duly accomplished entry form
b. One 2×2 ID colored photo
c. Curriculum vitae and portfolio
d. Photocopy of two (2) valid IDs
2. A participant can submit one (1) entry per theme in the competition. His or her entry must be an original work, exclusively conceptualized and executed by the participant for the 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines, and have not been exhibited before, revised, and recognized by other competitions.
3. The artist must submit an abstract of the entry artwork, maximum of 300 words.
4. The artist must submit a notarized certificate of original design.
5. Guidelines and forms for this competition can be downloaded from https://tinyurl.com/rf7grek and https://nqc.gov.ph.
6. The participant will shoulder the expenses in producing his or her artwork and will transport his or her entry/ies to the designated submission sites.
7. Upon receipt of the artwork in good condition, the NQC shall ensure proper handling and care of said entry. The NQC will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred during transport to submission venue. The NQC shall also not be responsible for loss or damage of artwork upon release from designated retrieval venue.
The following are the areas for the submission of entries:
Entry drop off points are as follows:
Cebu City Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission, Rizal Memorial Library & Museum Building, Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City
Contact Person: Mr. Bryner Diaz, firstname.lastname@example.org | (+63) (32) 412-4069
History Department, Xavier University – Cagayan de Oro, 73 Corrales Ave., Cagayan de Oro City
Contact persons: Mr. Kristian Sulmayor or Ms. Precious Tolibas, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org | +639212677982 or +639356556412 [Mr. Sulmayor]; +639560384999 or +639072432038 [Ms. Tolibas]
National Quincentennial Committee Secretariat, 2nd Floor, National Historical Commission of the Philippines Bldg., T.M. Kalaw St., Ermita, Manila;
Contact person: Ms. Ayesha H. Sayseng, email@example.com | (+63) (2) 5335-1200 loc. 145
28 August 2020. Deadline of submission of entries, application form, and documentary requirements
2nd Week September 2020. Judging 1st level
3rd Week September 2020. Judging 2nd level
4th Week September 2020. Judging 3rd level
October 2020. Awarding Ceremony (between 21-25 October at the ManilArt 2020)
For more information please visit www.nqc.gov.ph/en_US/quincentennial-art-competition/ or email for Ms. Sayseng at firstname.lastname@example.org.