It’s frustrating! That is, trying to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask. But fret no more, Apple has just released its latest iOS 13.5 update that “speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask …”
The update also comes with support to COVID-19 contract tracing apps from public health authorities.
Download and update your iOS to the 13.5 version to use this improved unlocking feature. Take note that the update is 417.3 MB and that data charges will apply if you download this without a WiFi connection.
Download the update by navigating your iPhone to your Settings app > General > Software Update.
Here are the additional improvements that come with the update:
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load
Source: Apple iOS 13 Updates